SAKE SCALLOPS WITH GINGER KATAIFI
When you walk through the Sydney Fish Markets, the colourful of array of fresh seafood on offer is striking. We undoubtedly have the best seafood in the world, and cooking with it is a true pleasure. With the festive season around the corner, and the summer months upon us, it is the perfect time of year to celebrate all that amazing seafood.
Caterina has outdone herself with this recipe, it is a true stunner and will impress any crowd. It is delicate in flavour with a beautiful balance between saltiness and sweetness, and topped with crunchy ginger infused kataifi which adds the perfect texture. It is perfect as an entree or finger food for any celebration.
GINGER KATAIFI CRISPS
100g Antoniou Kataifi pastry, at room temperature
1/4 cup peanut oil
2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated
1/4 teaspoon salt
GINGER & HONEY MAYONNAISE
1/2 cup Kewpie mayonnaise
2 teaspoons grated ginger
3 teaspoons honey
1 teaspoon white miso paste (fermented soy bean paste)
12 fresh sea scallops
Micro herbs to garnish
¼ cup white miso paste
¼ cup sake
¼ cup mirin
¼ cup honey
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 garlic clove, crushed
2 teaspoons grated ginger
- To make the ginger kataifi crisps, preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Add the ginger and salt to the oil and infuse for 30 minutes. Loosen the kataifi by pulling it apart with your hands. Using scissors, cut the kataifi into small pieces. Add the seasoned oil to the kataifi and mix through all the strands, ensuring they are evenly coated. Spread the kataifi onto the prepared tray and bake for 14 minutes or until lightly golden. Set aside to cool completely.
- To prepare the mayonnaise, whisk all the ingredients together until well combined.
- To prepare the scallops, remove them from their shells, scrub the shells and dry them. Set aside.
- Whisk together the miso, sake, mirin, honey, sesame oil, garlic & ginger. Place mixture in a shallow dish and add the scallops. Gently toss the scallops through the mixture and allow them to sit in the marinade for 30 minutes.
- Remove scallops from the marinade. Heat a non-stick frypan over medium to high heat. Add a tablespoon of peanut oil. Cook scallops on each side until just opaque. Remove scallops once cooked. Add the remaining marinade liquid to the pan. Bring to a simmer until it has thickened, approximately 3 minutes and remove from heat.
- To assemble the scallops, add a teaspoon of miso sauce to each scallop shell. Top with a scallop, ginger kataifi crisps, a dollop of ginger & honey mayonnaise, and garnish with micro herbs.