Whether you like them crunchy or chewy, there is something special about an Anzac biscuit. Perhaps it's their traditional origins, and the sense of patriotism they evoke in us. Or perhaps it's their perfect taste of golden deliciousness that so beautifully coats the palate with each bite. Either way, an Anzac biscuit is a truly celebratory delight.
They are perfect with a hot cup of tea, however they are equally as good with a scoop of your favourite ice cream sandwiched between two of them. We've added chopped macadamia nuts and crystallised ginger to our biscuits, and the end result is delightful. We hope you enjoy them!
1 cup plain flour
1 cup rolled oats
½ teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup desiccated coconut
½ cup chopped macadamia nuts
¼ cup finely chopped crystallised ginger
¾ cup caster sugar
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
125 grams butter
2 tablespoons golden syrup
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 tablespoon boiling water
1 litre of your favourite ice cream
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius (160 degrees fan forced). Line 2 trays with baking paper.
- Sift flour into a bowl. Add oats, cinnamon, coconut, macadamia nuts, ginger, sugar and lemon rind. Stir to combine. Make a well in the centre.
- Melt the butter and golden syrup in a small saucepan over medium heat. Once melted, remove from heat.
- Combine the bicarbonate of soda and water in a small bowl. Stir. Add to the butter mixture and stir well to combine.
- Add this mixture to the dry ingredients. Stir well to combine.
- Using the palm of your hands, roll level tablespoons of the biscuit mixture to form a ball (approximately 40 grams). Place the balls on the prepared trays, 3cm apart. Flatten them slightly with the palm of your hand.
- Bake for 10-13 minutes or until golden in colour. Allow them to sit on the trays for 5 minutes after removing them from the oven, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely. The biscuits will have a chewy texture. If you prefer a crunchy texture proceed to step 8.
- Preheat the oven to 120 degrees Celsius. Place the biscuits on trays and bake for 20 minutes. Switch the oven off. Leave the biscuits in the oven until the oven is completely cool.
- To make ice cream sandwiches, place a scoop of ice cream between two biscuits, and press together slightly. They can be eaten immediately, otherwise they can me made and stored in the freezer in an airtight container for days.